Circular walks in Swallowfield Parish
There are 5 suggested walks on this page, but they can be linked together to make longer routes for the hardy walkers!
Please remember to keep the Countryside Code when you are walking so that we may all benefit from the wonderful countryside around us for many, many years to come.
Some places of interest that are on or near to the walks.
In 1543 Swallowfield Park comprised a dwelling or mansion and cloth mill enclosed by the "parke of Swallowfelde" and "Courte Garden". It is likely the mansion occupied the same site as the present house but in 1689 the old building was demolished and William Talman was commissioned to design a new mansion. There have been several periods of rebuilding since.
The Grounds contain the Pitt Bridge, a five arched bridge built by Diamond Pitt over the river Blackwater in 1722. His initials appear above the central span.
The Park is private property so permission should be sought to enter.
All Saints Church Swallowfield
The church was originally built in 1256 and although restored and extended over the years, the original building still stands. Mary Russell Mitford's grave, marked with a solid cross lies to the right of the church in the far side of the churchyard. She moved to Swallowfield in 1851 and lived in a cottage at Queen Anne's Mead. She is a well known writer who was unfortunately paralysed in 1852 when thrown from her pony-chaise near the Pitt Bridge.
This old manor house is thought to be the oldest in Swallowfield. In 1236 it was part of extensive land belonging to the Earl of Salisbury.
Wellington Country Park
The park is opne from Spring until late Autumn. There is an entry charge to enjoy walks, boating, crazy golf, children's playground, petting zoo for children and much more. There is a small cafe on site.